On November 29, 1922, the Gremio Lusitano was founded by Alphonso Nascimento, Manuel Soares, Arthur Pelicas, Charles Almeida, Tony Augusto, and John Madeira at 19 Franklin Street, Ludlow, Massachusetts, with the purpose of bringing the Portuguese community together.
With money donated by the members and with help from Ludlow Savings Bank, the original Gremio Lusitano on Winsor Street was built in 1924, with Mr. Romano Santos becoming the first President and a member base of 199. In 1934, the Ladies Auxiliary was formed. The purpose of the Ladies Auxiliary was to help raise funds for the club and for a place where the women could get together to help participate in club activities. Continue Reading